* Multiple eyewear products are currently on the market in Canada to not only protect the eyes from injury but also to improve a persons performance on the sports field
* The Canadian Association of Optometrists says all athletes should consider wearing protective eyewear, due to potential risks of eye injuries
* Common injuries cause; bruising, bleeding or even broken bones around the eye. With outdoor sports, there is possibility of radiation injury from UV light
* Vision can also be affected by a concussion, where there is no evident injury to the eyes themselves.
* 90% of injuries can be prevented with proper protective eyewear
* Wearing regular dress glasses during a sport can actually be a hazard and should not be worn
* Certain injuries can be undetectable by the patient until the damage is advanced or permanent, so its important to visit an optometrist regularly